Wednesday, August 4, 2010

LETTERFORMative : : Show {One}

Finally we took down the show! LETTERFORMative was an awesome experience. It was nice to know common man people are getting aware and amazed by this art, Calligraphy. Well, my intention was always to showcase Devnagri in modern form and should reach international platform. I enjoy experimenting and playing with various tools, techniques and materials. I personally like to make calligraphy more 'image centric' and create a visual abstraction of letterforms; where I am OK, if legibility takes a back seat. All letterforms have an excellent structure, body; its just a matter of peeling of each layer and exploring its hidden beauty.
Making an artworks were a game of ups and downs. It was frustrating to achieve a desired stroke after wasting days & days and papers or sometimes it was a joyful moment when accident with ink, paper and hand resulting in never-seen-piece.


Here are some pictures of behind the scene and actual show:
 Slowly going up
Finally all are up
 In the ambience


 I also made one lamp, displayed below (right side, Prism shaped). I am in the process of making such products.
Other artists were from JJ School of Art, Mumbai (Sarang, Noopur, Pradnya and Yashodeep) have a unique style. More abstract, slightly quirky and minimalistic. They have taken these alphabets in different level. This bunch is purely dedicated to type design and typography. I found overall more systematic approach than 'free' but that's their perception of looking Letterart and no doubt it was looking kickass!
Other artist cum faculty was Mr Kharsani from Ahmedabad, very experienced amongst rest of the gang. All the artworks show his trained and well-prepared 'hand' and knowledge of DNA of each alphabets. I amazed the way he gives energy and freedom to his letters.

I would like to thank Mocha ArtHouse team, my studio Codesign for their support. 
Here is curator Sandhya and me, trying to click photo of artworks, but in vain, because of stark glare and reflection; literally shooting stars, glares.
This show encourages and motivates me to do another show and look at this art more serious.
Yes I am already participating another show...see the next post for details and excitement.
Some photos by Vinay Jois.

1 comment:

Lorraine Douglas said...

This is a beautiful exhibition....congratulations.