Monday, May 23, 2016

10th World Calligraphy Biennale, Jeollabuk Do (Korea)

Finally completed my Calligraphy Biennale post (Sorry it was the last year's post)

Here, I am writing this post sitting at Incheon Airport of South Korea, waiting for my flight to India (via Hong Kong). Why I am here because I was invited to participate & attend the exhibition of 10th World Calligraphy Biennale, Jeollabuk, South Korea. Me and Mr. Achyut Palav (a well known and talented calligrapher from, Bombay, India) were only from India showcased the work.
It was a great opportunity to experience this event as the first time I met, talked and saw the south east asian calligraphy practitioners and masters and their great body of work. Primarily, the Chinese, Japanese, Korean scripts were on the display, I am glad Indian script (devanagari) also made into this league.
This conference was comprised of grand inauguration, exhibition, paper presentations (I wish they could managed English translations) and of course sight seeing and food treat. Sori Art Centre, a venue was amazing space and huge. This biennale is on till 15th November 2015, more details here




Me with my showcased piece



On the concluding gala dinner night, all the invited calligraphers had
to "write" something in their language (with provided brush & ink)

Master calligrapher – Wang Dongling (he is genius)



Other calligraphers work – simply stunning, you can experience the devotion, passion and command of these 30-40 years.




This piece is by "yours truly" – Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam (The World is One Family)
I was nervous doing brush work in front of the legends.

No comments: